Jan 28, 2010

The Dangers of Soy - Please read!

Some of you already know that I'm a big fan of making meals from scratch using natural organic foods. Well, tofu was one of my favorite ingredients to use, as I always thought that soy based products  (ie. tofu and soy milk) were tasty and healthy protein options. Was even proud to give these foods to my children, but lately I've been reading really alarming details about soy based foods. I suggest you also get informed by reading more on the truth of soy. Even when you think you are not at risk because you do not consume soy foods, you should know that many of the food products sold in the USA have added soy substances (much like corn products that are added to other foods as fillers, additives, etc.)

I am concerned because just recently learned that soy contains high levels of naturally occurring toxins, which once ingested can wreak havoc in a person's body and mind. Some of the health problems linked to consumption of soy are malnutrition, stunt growth in children, digestive problems, thyroid dysfunction, cognitive decline, reproductive disorders, decreased libido, immune system breakdown, and even heart disease and cancer

Follow the links below to read more:

http://www.nourishingourchildren.org/Soy.html
http://www.westonaprice.org/Soy-Alert

I've decided that I'll have to let go of my favorite curried thai tofu recipe for good and no more chocolate soy milk for the little ones!

Please get informed. Don't quit these foods simply because I say so. I urge all of you to learn more about the foods we eat. Don't let big food companies decide for you. They are not always thinking of what's the most nutritious way to feed America, but rather the most profitable. Soy is very cheap to produce and due to misinformation, people (including myself until a few days ago) think of soy as a miracle food.

A final word of caution for pregnant women, soy has estrogenic effects, which can make those dark patches, also known as melasma or chloasma, worse. "Soy can make the 'mask of pregnancy' (dark splotches on facial skin) worse", so if you are pregnant stay away from soy foods and soy based skin products. Read more here

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this post. I read it when you first posted it, and I've been thinking about it since then. I've done some reading and am convinced that soy is not going to be a part of our diet because of what I read. I had thought it was a great health food and protein source, but the cons outweigh the pros!

    ReplyDelete

My Headlines