Mar 10, 2010

Moroccan Oil - magic potion for damaged hair

Some women are blessed with shiny healthy hair. My hair used to be shiny and full of life  until babies arrived. Something happened after giving birth which caused my hair not to regain its original bounciness and manageability. Did this also happen to any of you?

I eat a healthy diet, drink plenty of fluids everyday to keep hydrated and exercise every week, but my hair needs more than just a healthy lifestyle I guess. I've been looking for a "magic potion" that will magically fix my hair and the thing that reportedly comes closest to being this "magic potion" is Moroccan oil. Moroccan oil is another name for Argan oil which is made from the kernels of argan tree fruit that grow almost exclusively in Morocco. Supposedly the oil is pressed from undigested argan nuts plucked from the poop of Moroccan goats that actually climb the trees to eat the nuts and then...well sounds like these goats are not chewing their food properly.
But let's get back to the hair miracle potion I'm after: I did investigate this Moroccan oil thing and found many commercially available hair products claiming to contain Moroccan oil and they are EXPENSIVE!! wouldn't mind paying the price if these products would actually contain Moroccan oil, but if you take the time to read the ingredient labels, turns out that the moroccan oil content is just a small fraction of the total content. So...being the DIY trooper I am, found the real deal and hope all you ladies looking for better hair days will try this at home:

(found on a great site I'm falling in love with: GreenChiCafe.com)
Miraculous Moroccan Hair Oil - DIY Diva
haircomb2
"I always love an exotic hair beauty formula, so I began to look around on the Internet, sure that I could find a green, do-it-yourself (DIY) version of Moroccan oil if I looked hard enough.
Sure enough, I began to hone in on information about Moroccan oil for hair, and to understand its fame. Better yet, I found a quick substitute that some of you may even have in your home; I did.
The reason Moroccan oil is considered so miraculous as a hair treatment is that it deeply moisturizes dry hair without making the hair greasy. At the same time it gives the hair a stunning shine, reduces frizz, and gives elasticity. Generic Moroccan oil is also known as Argan oil from the nuts of a tree native to Morocco. The oil is exceptionally rich in vitamin E, essential fatty acids Omega 3 and 6, squalene, cartontenes, and more. It is used medicinally as well as for cosmetic and personal care purposes. The oil is reported to help treat Psoriasis.
Argan oil is considered to be similar to Emu oil, and also jojoba. Emu oil is derived from a bird. Jojoba is a liquid wax derived from a shrub. Jojoba is easily available (indeed, I have some), and this research into Moroccan oil has taught me attributes about it that I did not know. Pure Argan oil is available in the U.S. online, and here is one source, Argan Oils,  from women cooperatives.
How to use? While your hair is still wet after washing, dab some on your hands, rub them together and then through your hair. Dry as usual. What  a wonderful hair conditioner."
by Annie B. Bond, best-selling author of five books including Better Basics for the Home, and most recently, True Food, with Melissa Breyer and Wendy Gordon (National Geographic, 2010).

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Headlines